Skip to main content

On: Question TWO

 

What is the difference between right and wrong?

 

Morality has some epic grey area no?!?  I have memories from when I was about six; this is when I remember sorting thorough good vs evil and right vs wrong for the first time. I distinctly remember the feeling I had when I knew something was wrong or unfair –it was a very sour taste in my mouth; a notable discomfort. I actually I swore off Tom Cruise as a person based on a character he played in a film being unfaithful to his spouse. I just couldn’t cope. (I'm still unsure if I forgave him)



The human mind is so incredible, but at the same time it can be so immature, selfish and counter-intuitive. We’ve invented rocket ships and have landed on the moon – a moon that we somehow knew was there (unlike the fox or bumble bee). We’ve invented the internet and cell phones and all sorts of institutions. But we can’t exercise loyalty or avoid greed or manipulation. Ego damn near ends our civilization in regular intervals. I’m baffled by our progressive yet backwards mindset. The difference between right and wrong comes down to the individual moral breadth. We damn well know better between right and wrong even with grey area. Social or cultural faux pas excluded because honest mistakes will happen and helping people rise above requires compassion, understanding and kindness. I think human beings will always struggle when they have to weigh their own interests or those of their children/kin versus those of the greater good.  Sadly people can exercise free will, people can pull themselves out of a gutter while stepping on another’s back to gain traction.

Doing right isn’t always an easy or a clear path but it’s not beyond us given our extreme potential.


21 questions (2012 answers ) FULL BLOG


MY ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION 10 YEARS AGO... 

When you were little and you watched someone kick a dog , you just knew that it was wrong. We have an intuitive sense of fairness that we don’t always cultivate and use in our lives, but I think we know a lot about what is right and wrong from an early age. Often times our radar gets foggy and confused as we learn self-promotion from a variety of examples—good and bad. I guess to sum it up, I’d say: right is doing your best to make decisions using a moral compass that you are proud of. Wrong is usually more selfish.


Comments

Most Popular

On: Cheesegate

On: Grieving, to Gabriel

On: President Donald Trump

On: Rx: Self-help

Save $$$ on greeting cards, make your own!

On: Motherhood

Without expectations

On: 21 questions